Archive for Jun 2010
June 21, 2010 Music used to be…
June 16, 2010 Words can not describe the love…
June 15, 2010 Ummm..
@GspotLA gets credit for getting this gem to me…
June 9, 2010 Is going green gonna get me some GREEN???
Ok, with the overwhelming tragedy gushing into our blue ocean lets do something to keep this earth green. I (for instance) just went through ALL my bills and requested paperless billing. Also, I make sure to shut off the lights when I am not in a room. In March I went from a gas guzzling SUV to a hybrid (saves me a minimum of $80.00 a month) :). Here are some more ideas to reduce our carbon footprints:
1. Do not drive 1 day a week. Bike, walk, carpool on that day. Sunday is a good easy day to implement this. Get into it with your friends. You can also save $$ in gas this day.. An average of $25.00 a month!!!
2. Buy local produce. This keeps the economy good in your area. Also if you are not vegetarian pledge to eat 1 veggie meal a week. Not just for animal reasons, but for the impact of the meat industry on the environment.
3. If you drink bottled water consider getting a refillable container. I get arrowhead home delivery (5 gallons for 7 dollars, lasts me 1 month!!!!) and I have a glass wine bottle with a stopper you can get at the liquor store. I refill this over and over, Bring it to the gym and keep one in my car. Good for the earth AND I save AT LEAST $60.00 a month!
4. Paperless billing. This saves the trees AND postage!! Pay your bills online and save up to $5.00 a month. Many banks offer bill pay for free.
5.Use reusable bags at the market. If you forget yours at home, re-use the paper or plastic bags for garbage bags. Never throw out empty bags. Full in… full out.
6. Do not throw out old clothes/ furniture. You can have a yard sale or take them to a resell shop such as crossroads (I just cleaned my closet and made $70.00) and drop off what you can’t sell at a goodwill or homeless shelter.
7. Wash your clothes in COLD water and hang dry or dry flat. This saves energy and saves you up to $25.00 a month. Also saves wear and tear on your clothes.
8 .Get “green” cleaning products.. I adore Myers. To save $$ and the environment here are some tips:
For an effective glass cleaner, use a mixture of half white vinegar and half water.
Baking soda and cornstarch are both good carpet deodorizers.
To clean up mildew and mold, use a mixture of lemon juice or white vinegar and salt.
A paste of baking soda, salt, and hot water makes a great oven cleaner. Should save about $10.00 a month
9. Little things like turning the water off while you brush your teeth, taking shorter showers, Filling the sink when doing dishes (instead of running the water) could save you $10.00
10. Use cloth instead of paper towels to clean. This will save $5.00 a month!!
So going green is really all about the other green ($$$) I saved $280 THIS MONTH!!!!!!!!!
What do you do to be green and save green?